Thursday, June 2, 2011

It Is Well With My Soul Romans 8:28-31

Another note I wrote during our Easter service today (since it is 12:06 am I guess yesterday) was on Romans 8:28-31.  This passage (Romans 8:29-30) was used as way of introduction to the Sermon preached by our good Pastor.  I am eternally glad that my Pastor does not have a Facebook, I could get in trouble for all these notes I am writing during his excellent services.  The next note I am going to write is from a service held by a brother who does have a Facebook, maybe Whitey will not read it.

Romans 8:28-31
(28)  And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
(29)  For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
(30)  and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
(31)  What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love Him.  He foreknew us and predestined (elected) us according to that foreknowledge.  His predestination is for the purpose of conforming us to Christ’s image (In my notes here, I have a crudely drawn picture of Christ on the Cross and in quotes obedient even to death on a Cross.  I say crudely because I am a horrid artist.)  For this reason we are called, justified, and glorified.

I hear verse 28 used out of context so much that whenever I see, “Romans 8:28a” I cringe at the exegetical horror I expect to come.  It is common to hear “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good.”  To stop there is abusive to the Word of God.  These four verses have volumes of books written in their honor; both theological and contemporary inspirational books would be a part of those volumes of books.  There is so much here that I do not think that I can do it justice, I will let these verses speak for themselves.

Please, pray with me,

My Father in Heaven, although I am undeserving of your kindness you have given me it, and I am undeserving of any understanding you give me that as well.  I ask that through your Son Jesus Christ, you give us the wisdom and understanding for this small amount of Scripture.  Within you Word are so many words of life and I believe that by the Holy Spirit, you will cause these four verses to come alive and awaken my soul to the truths in Your Word.  Most Holy Father, I ask that you open my heart and teach me the meanings of Your Word!

In the Name of Jesus Christ Your Son and our Salvation, Amen.

Some background of the Hymn in my title can be found here: http://www.biblestudycharts.com/A_Daily_Hymn.html

No comments:

Post a Comment