Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Epicness of Romans 12: 1-2 (Really chapters 12 and 13 are very awesome)

I was sitting in Church and our Shepherd Terry Sprenkel brought up Romans 12:1-2, a passage I have highlighted and re-highlighted several times.  In fact, if you were to open my Thompson-Chain Reference Bible (NASB) to Romans 12, you would see EPIC in red ink and Super carroted in there- thus “Super^ EPIC”.  I had to add the super because of the supreme epicness of this passage and all of its implications. 

Well I think that is enough introductions to tonight’s special guest, Romans 12:1-2, “Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.”
           
            A living and holy sacrifice is one that dedicates himself to the One who gave His Son.  True worship stems from the roots of a life that has been laid down as a sacrifice to our supreme and perfect God.  Instead of being like the culture around us, the culture that is putrid and dying before a God whose wrath burns against we must be transformed by the supernatural renewing of our minds (compare: renewing of our minds- new creation- regenerated- born again).  Living contrary to the world, as a transformed living sacrifice for the purposes of God will “prove what the Will of God is” and its perfect goodness.

            The Epistle to the Romans is of great value, full of theology but very simple to understand.  What Paul (God through Paul rather) wrote has been turned into volumes of books, libraries could be filled up with books based on this Epistle.  From deep theological truths to applicable exhortations, Romans has it all and I suggest this Epistle to everyone.  Every time I sit down to read a passage or chapter from Romans usually I find myself skipping back or reading much further than planned.  Many times I have set out to study a topic and when I get to Romans I get sidetracked, sometimes messing up an entire study (Romans 8:28).  A great Epistle to both read in its entirety and sectional under the microscope of exegesis.  Don’t take my word for it and don’t be a cissy, read the book for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment